TOP RECOMMENDED PRODUCT
iSeaFly Dog Grooming Kit
The iSeaFly Dog Grooming kit has all the dog scissors you will need to effectively groom every part of your pet’s body. The stainless steel blades are razor-sharp with rounded tips, allowing you to easily and safely cut your dog’s fur.
- Ergonomic design for maximum comfort.
- Rounded blade tips to minimize the risk of injury.
- Includes four pairs of scissors.
- Cleaning cloth and storage bag.
The best dog grooming scissors kit is essential, whether you’re a professional or you want to give it a try at home. These tools allow you to trim your terrier or style your schnauzer both safely and as stress-free as possible. However, there are many types, and not every set is the same. To find the best set for you and your pooch you need to know what to look for and what to avoid.
Dog Grooming Scissors Kit Buying Guide
If you’re considering grooming your dog at home, your regular scissors ain’t gonna cut it! You’re going to need a dog grooming scissors kit. What’s more, there’s a lot to think about, such as how to avoid injuring your dog or hurting yourself, and what if you give your pooch the worst doggy hairdo of all time.
Professional dog groomers will use the best scissors for cutting dogs’ hair, and you should do the same at home. While grooming your dog yourself may save you money you still need to invest in the right equipment. Doing so will ensure your furbaby will stay safe and look fantastic too.
The Benefits of Dog Grooming
Grooming isn’t just for show dogs, all canine companions can benefit from good grooming as part of their health and well-being.
While many dog owners opt to take their dog to a professional groomer, you can do it at home if you prefer. Using a pro is the more expensive route, but it’s definitely the most convenient way to keep your dog looking and feeling good.
Whether you decide to take your dog to the groomers or to cut their hair DIY style, there are many benefits to regular dog grooming:
- Reduced risk of eye, skin, ear, and teeth infections.
- Less dog odor.
- Easier to detect health issues before they become more serious.
- Happier vet visits — your dog will be more used to being handled (especially around the face and paws).
- Reduces discomfort from mats and tangles in the fur.
- Easier to eliminate fleas and ticks.
- Increases the bond between you and your dog.
Tips For Using A Dog Grooming Scissor Set at Home
When it comes to grooming your dog at home, there are many do’s and don’ts. Unfortunately, dogs can be injured by improper grooming. Cutting your dog’s hair is not something you can rush, and it’s essential you use the correct tools for your breed of dog. Dogs with curly hair will require different dog grooming scissors to dogs with fine hair, for example.
The safest way to use your dog grooming scissor kit at home is to place your dog on a non-slip surface in a well-lit area. Take your time while using your dog haircut scissors, and remain patient with your pooch.
Here are a few more tips to take away:
- Get into a routine of grooming your dog regularly — I’m not saying you need to be cutting your pup’s fur every week, but they will need to have a regular brush, bath, and nail check.
- Patience you will need — as Yoda once said! But if you get stressed and annoyed, your dog can sense it, which will put them on edge as well.
- As mentioned above, a well-lit place that’s non-slip is essential for a safe grooming session.
- Use the right equipment — ensuring you have the right tools will not only make the job easier but also a lot less stressful and potentially dangerous for your pet.
- Be aware that dogs with a long coat or are double-coated do require far more grooming than say a short-haired pup.
- Know when you’re out of your area of expertise.
How to Choose the Best Dog Grooming Scissor Set
There are many different types and brands of dog grooming scissors and it can be difficult to know which ones will be best suited for your dog. I’ve put together a few pointers you may wish to think about before purchasing a dog grooming scissor kit:
- Not all dog hair is created equal — some dogs have thick fur, others have fine hair, some breeds look best with a straight cut, whereas other dogs need their overgrown curls to be tamed. You need to consider your dog’s breed when buying a dog grooming scissor kit to avoid using blades that will not work correctly on your dog’s hair.
- Safety first — when buying dog scissors look for what safety measures have been incorporated into the products. These can include rounded tips on scissors, quiet blades — so as not to scare a nervous dog, finger inserts, or ergonomically designed handles for a decent fit and grip.
- Different scissors do different things — while all dog grooming scissors will cut your dog’s hair, different types will provide a different shape and style to your dog’s coat. More on this shortly. Think about what finish you want to achieve and buy a dog grooming scissor kit with the blades you need.
What Are the Different Types of Dog Scissors?
We all know that professional groomers are not getting those fantastic cuts by just using one type of scissors. You would probably be surprised at the range of equipment it takes to get your dog looking like the king/queen you know they are.
So, there are five main types of dog grooming scissors, and they have some very specific uses:
- Straight scissors — the main pair in a groomer’s arsenal and allows you to trim any part of your dog’s fur, even if they have a really thick coat. They come in a variety of different blade lengths depending on the type of fur.
- Curved scissors — as the name suggests, have rounded tips and are primarily used to cut those delicate areas — around the face, paws, and tail without causing injury to the dog. These magic little scissors also give your dog’s coat a round shape.
- Thinning scissors — can be a lifesaver, if your pup has a thick coat or areas that are difficult to reach.
- Blender scissors — a really handy option for short coats. One blade is serrated, and they allow for an even cut.
- Chunkers — suitable for thick fur and curly coats.
The Best Dog Grooming Scissors Reviews
Now you know what to look for when buying a dog grooming scissor kit, it’s a good idea to do some research. To help you with this point, I’ve reviewed five of what I feel are the best dog grooming scissor kits.
The iSeaFly dog grooming kit includes three pairs of scissors, one pair of thinning scissors, a comb, a cleaning cloth, and a storage bag. In short (back and sides), it has everything you need to give your dog a professional-looking haircut.
If grooming safety and comfort are your two main concerns, this set has you covered. The blades all have rounded tips to protect your dog from injury and the ergonomic design is purposefully shaped to help reduce hand fatigue during lengthy grooming sessions.
The iSeaFly is a stylish-looking dog grooming kit but the razor-sharp stainless steel blades ensure you aren’t compromising on quality either. The scissors vary in size and this makes the set a great all-arounder for grooming every part of your dog. You can use the smaller 4.5-inch straight edge scissors for detailing and pruning and the longer 5.5-inch blades for cutting larger straight areas of fur.
If your dog is sensitive to noise, iSeaFly has attempted to help you create a quieter cutting experience and reduce your dog’s stress. By adding a rubber pad between the scissor finger holes, the scissors don’t make as much sound while you’re snipping — this should help your dog remain calm throughout.
- Safe blades with rounded tips.
- Includes four various-sized scissors.
- Stylish design and leather storage bag.
- Heavy-duty stainless steel.
- Shears may require frequent sharpening.
The Gimars Grooming Kit is perfect for novice dog groomers and professionals alike. This set includes four pairs of dog scissors that will effectively groom your dog in a variety of ways.
Arriving with two sets of straight scissors, one pair of thinning scissors, one pair of curved scissors, and a grooming comb. The curved scissors enable you to safely contour the fur around your dog’s paws and face, which I think is the most difficult part of dog grooming!
Made from 4CR stainless steel, these scissors all feature a rounded tip. This safeguards your dog from accidental knicks and lets you groom with confidence.
The blades on the scissors in this kit vary in size from 5.1 inches to 7.0 inches long, making them a manageable size for trimming all types of fur. The Gimars 4CR Stainless Steel Dog Grooming Set includes safe and easy-to-use scissors, making it a perfect choice for a first-time or a seasoned groomer.
- Includes scissors for a variety of grooming techniques.
- Safe rounded blade tip.
- Can be used on cats too.
- Made from sturdy and rustproof stainless steel.
- Not the best dog scissors for a quiet cut.
A common problem with dog grooming scissors is that they can be uncomfortable to hold when using for any length of time. Some blades are heavy and too bulky to use with ease, others don’t have big enough finger holes or cut efficiently when used at certain angles. The GLADOG scissors for dog grooming are ergonomically designed to solve these fatigue-inducing issues.
These scissors come with soft inserts in the finger holes to allow a more comfortable grooming experience. And, if you have larger digits, you can take the inserts out to create more space, making it easier to cut for longer periods of time.
The design also minimizes noise. The handle’s rubber bumper helps to reduce the sound the scissors make when closing and also prevents you from accidentally clamping your fingers while you are busy grooming.
This kit comes with three different scissors — all with a 6.5-inch length — giving you the freedom to cut your dog’s coat in different ways. The straight edge scissors are best for cutting the hair on the flat parts of the body (legs and torso), the curved pair is ideal for trimming the more sensitive areas of your dog — including the face and paws. And, the thinning shears are used to thin out your dog’s coat.
Dog grooming can feel a bit terrifying if you haven’t attempted it before. That said, from my experience, using scissors with safety features makes the experience much less stressful. All of the mentioned tools feature rounded tips, keeping your dog safe from accidental pokes and misjudged snips.
What’s more, there is also an adjustable screw on the blades for tension control, allowing you to fully customize your grooming session to accommodate your dog’s specific needs.
- Ergonomically designed for maximum comfort.
- Rubber bumper on scissor handle to reduce sound.
- Variety of scissors included.
- Includes cleaning cloth, comb, and a carry case.
Thinning shears may lack sharpness for all fur types.
The Purple Dragon Professional Pet Grooming Scissors Kit has a sleek and stylish design, but this doesn’t compromise their performance.
One of the most uncomfortable things for your dog to experience during a grooming session is their fur getting caught and pulled by the scissors. Made from Japanese stainless steel, the edges are evenly polished and strong, making cutting your dog’s hair a smooth and simple process.
What’s more, giving your dog the perfect trim is never easy, but the task is made much more difficult when fur and fluff keep building up between the scissor blades. Thanks to the sharp blades, no dog hair can get caught between them.
Additionally, keeping your dog calm and as still as possible are also vital components of a successful dog haircut. The buzzing of clippers or the snipping sound of scissors can cause your dog to become anxious and restless — the quieter the cut, the better. Purple Dragon has tried to overcome this common grooming dilemma by adding a silencer between the scissor handles — reducing the sound they make while you’re cutting your dog’s hair.
This dog grooming scissor set includes — thinning shears, downward curved and a pair of upward curved scissors, plus a straight cutting pair, all with 7-inch blades. It also arrives with a cleaning cloth and a grooming bag.
Why We Love It
- Strong, sharp, and durable stainless steel blades.
- Scissor storage bag and cleaning cloth included.
- Silencer for a quieter cut.
- Nine color finishes to choose from.
- Blades lack safety tips.
The loud buzzing of clippers and the scary snips of scissor blades can create a lot of anxiety and stress for your dog. The Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Grooming Kit has a solution — by creating a low-noise alternative to electric clippers.
The patented Scaredy Cut scissors attach to the clipper combs and offer a quieter and more calming grooming experience for your pet. I think this is a great idea as not only will your dog be more relaxed, but you can use different comb sizes for a closer or more subtle cut. This dog grooming scissor kit includes 16 pieces, including seven different combs, allowing you to trim between 0.5 and one inch in length.
You can also adjust the size of the scissor handles for a custom and more comfortable fit. Everyone has different-sized fingers, and as dog grooming can take a while to complete, you don’t want yours stuck in scissor finger holes that are too tight or too loose. This grooming kit includes two pairs of gel finger inserts for a snug and cushioned fit and a thin smooth pair of gel inserts for a medium fit.
And, if you’re new to dog grooming, this set includes a useful guide. It contains tips and advice, plus information with images to help you out.
- Scissor and clipper combo reduces sound stressors for your dog.
- Dog grooming set includes 16 pieces.
- Gel finger inserts for a custom fit.
- Seven comb sizes.
- May take a while to get used to the scissor technique.
Grooming can be stressful for dogs but with a safe and durable set of scissors, the experience can be an enjoyable one for you both. It’s a great way to enhance your bond with your pooch.
To safely and effectively groom your dog at home, you will need a high-quality kit. However, first, consider the type of fur your dog has and the cut that they require. Also, don’t forget to take note of the safety features on offer, plus think about the type of scissors that will be beneficial for you.
The sets featured in this round-up will all help to give your dog a professional-looking haircut from the comfort of your own home. The most important thing is that you pick a dog grooming scissors kit that’s a great fit for both your dog and you.
Dog Grooming Scissor FAQs
“Is It Ok to Groom My Own Dog?”
By all means, go for it. However, bear in mind groomers have been professionally trained to cut your dog’s hair. Hence it’s unlikely you will be able to replicate their work yourself at home.
What’s more, clipping a dog’s claws/nails is probably best left to the professionals — you could cause serious injury by mistake.
“Can I Groom My Dog With Scissors?”
Many dogs become anxious and restless when you’re attempting to cut their fur. The best way to reassure your dog is to:
- Groom them in a place where they feel safe and relaxed.
- Using quiet scissors instead of loud electric clippers.
- Introduce the grooming equipment slowly, let your dog see it.
“Why Do Dog Groomers Have Curved Scissors?”
Curved scissors provide a safer and more accurate cut, especially around those delicate areas such as the face, feet, and ears.
“Can You Use Human Scissors On Dogs?”
No. Dog grooming scissors are designed specifically for your dog’s fur and safety. Most have rounded blades to prevent accidentally catching your furry friend.
“Is It Easier To Cut Dog Hair Wet or Dry?”
Unlike human hair, it’s best to start with a clean dry dog, as their fur will be easier to cut.