Grooming your hypoallergenic dog regularly is important to reduce dog allergies, by lowering dog dander levels and maintaining your dog’s healthy coat.
If your dog has hair that doesn’t shed, you will need to ensure you brush them regularly to keep the coat free of knots and painful matting. Additionally, you will need to have their coat clipped (usually every 6 weeks or so), to ensure their coat stays in the best condition and is easy to manage. If you have some experience, you can clipper your dog’s coat yourself, but many people prefer to employ professional dog groomers to maintain their dog’s coat.
Regardless of how you have your dog clipped, if you want to ensure your hypoallergenic dog is the perfect pet for your dog allergies, you will need to maintain a regular habit of caring for your dog’s coat to manage dander levels. This includes:
- Regularly brushing or combing your dog outside, to remove any excess dander (if you are highly allergic to dog dander, you may need someone else in your household to do this job for you!)
- Washing your dog regularly, to maintain low dander levels. Ensure you only wash your dog as often as you need to manage your allergies. If you wash your dog too often, or if you use a harsh shampoo, you may give your dog skin problems that will cause more dander!
- Dog brush
- Dog comb
- Dog clippers
- Dog scissors
- Hypoallergenic dog shampoo – gentle, natural shampoo, that cares for your dogs’ skin as well as their coat.
- Dog nail clippers
- When you have finished grooming your dog, remove your clothes and put them straight in the wash.
- Wash your hands after grooming or playing with your dog, and before touching your face!
- Wash your dog’s bedding regularly, to reduce dander levels in their bed. Hypoallergenic dog beds and dog blankets can help with this.
- Keep your dog out of your bedroom.
- Clean your house regularly, to reduce dander levels inside your house. Using a damp mop or cloth to wipe surfaces can reduce allergens from spreading in the air.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.
- Purify your home’s air with a HEPA filter.
- Feed your dog a high quality dog food, to maintain optimal health in your dog and reduce dander levels in their coat.
If you have dog allergies, it’s important to ensure you look after your dog’s coat extremely well. A healthy dog with a well groomed coat will release less dander, and give you many years of allergy-free dog friendship! Following these hypoallergenic dog grooming tips will certainly help you achieve the best allergy-free dog experience possible!